Legislators and policymakers play an extremely important role in how the nonprofit sector works. They define how nonprofit organizations come into existence, many aspects of our administration and operation, and even how we are financed. However, they frequently have a limited understanding of the nonprofit sector and the grantmaking process.
To help build this knowledge, the Foundation Center has added a special section to its web site for legislators and policymakers who work with the nonprofit sector. Welcome Legislators and Policymakers points out online tools that they and their staff will find useful as they formulate policy and work with their constituents, including:
- Glass Pockets - shows the transparency and accountability efforts of foundations
- Foundation Finder - provides contact information for grantmakers
- Philanthropy News Digest - reports daily on grantmakers and the nonprofit sector
- Cooperating Collection Locator - identifies libraries and nonprofit organizations around the country that provide free public access to Foundation Center resources
- PubHub - a searchable listing of publications produced or funded by grantmakers
Help us in our efforts to increase the understanding of legislators and policymakers by passing along the link to our new section to individuals who work in government or policymaking organizations.
And give us your suggestions for additional resources that should be posted on this page.