There is a vibrant tradition of giving among Latinxs in the United States, but the philanthropic and nonprofit communities have not been able to engage Latinxs successfully. With a buying power of $1.4 trillion dollars, the potential for investment and impact is huge; however, given the current political climate, Latinx civic engagement is on the decline, while distrust in institutions is growing. A less engaged Latinx community will only lead to a further decline in giving. So, how do we change the story? How do we engage Latinxs across the country both civically and philanthropically? How do we tap into that enormous potential?
Get the highlights from the July 2018 conversation with Ana Marie Argilagos, President & CEO of Hispanics In Philanthropy, and Jose Calderon, President of Hispanic Federation, in which they explain why civic engagement and Latinx giving are positively correlated, and the potential that this has for creating a virtuous circle of giving.
After each question, click on the time to jump to that section in the YouTube recording of this event. Or, use the Youtube window below and move the slider to a specific timepoint.
- How has giving become more accessible in the Latinx community via tools like crowdfunding and giving circles? Watch at 15:23
- What do giving circles look like in the Latinx community (e.g. tandas) and how they have evolved as a tool for giving and civic engagement? Watch at 32:46
- How can you engage the Latinx community, as volunteers and donors? And once a volunteer or donor expresses interest in a certain effort, how can you convert them into broader supporters of your organization? Learn from a case study of how the Hispanic Federation has done so. Watch at 27:40
- How should you communicate and build relationships with your local Latinx community and Latinx grantmakers? Hear Jose Calderon’s perspective below on doing so by engaging ambassadors and building personal relationships. Watch at 44:11
- How can you attract and identify Latinx board members for your organization? And how might the Hispanic Federation help you do so? Watch at 1:08:15
- What if you’re a relatively small nonprofit...how can you connect with Latinx donors? Hear practical advice on how to do so here. Watch at 1:11:16
- Are you considering crowdfunding for a Latinx-related organization or cause? Or perhaps finding one to support? If so, you may want to consider using the hipgive.org crowdfunding site. Learn more about this opportunity from Ana Marie Argilagos, President of Hispanics in Philanthropy, which not only manages hipgive.org platform, but also provides capacity, marketing and technical assistance for projects on the site. Watch at 1:14:45